Saturday, February 16, 2013

Days Twenty-Two and Twenty-Three


\

Right then. So updating didn't happen for me last night, and I'm pretty okay with that. Not that I ever doubted how much I love coming back here, but really, it's hands down the best way to remind myself that things can be easy if you step back and let them. 

A huge factor in deciding to duck out of Pennsylvania: the idea that if I was ever going to travel as much as I'd hoped, I'd better get pretty damn good at adjusting. It helped an insane amount to pick up and start over again--a constant reminder that change never quits, so you're way better off learning how to maneuver through every new moment rather than trying to change the old ones. Still, that being said, I never, ever get tired of backtracking to this place. There's just something about the town I know like the back of my hand, the four walls that changed with me, and the familiar faces who--whether I'm spilling my innermost dreams, fears, and philosophies or talking straight out of my ass--never express anything except the effortlessness of home. 
  • Show two four people how much they mean to me
(1). Got dropped off by Pattwell, Tom, and Mike, threw some clean clothes on as fast as humanly possible, and jetted out to see my dad's band play. Grew up hearing those guys, and  there still remain few things I'd rather be doing on a Friday night. Still, I know my dad gets a kick out of the fact that I go whenever I'm home. He asks me on a regular basis why I don't prefer DJs like a normal kid. Go figure. 




(2). Called a friend I hadn't spoken to in about three years to catch up and see how he was doing. Do me and the rest of the world a huge favor and check up on someone you haven't spoken to in a bit. You never know how much, at that exact second, they might need the reminder that they're not forgotten. 

(3). Spent the afternoon/early evening with this lady right here. 





Twenty years later and we're still on the exact same page with everything from life values to borderline demented sense of humor. Went to one of our favorite cafes--one that apparently serves smoothies--because Mel had a root canal and needed her food in mush-form. This place makes me want to vomit rainbows. 




Confession time. The skill and precision of that first photograph can be credited to none other than Melanie Grace. Yeah. That's my elbow. I was initially going to try to play it off like I took it, but this is a blog about honesty and self-development and I might as well otherwise have changed the name to "New Perspectives My Ass." 

(4). Crawled into bed with my mom for a bit to talk, as A). I'm a dweeb who still exhibits tendencies that are common amongst six year olds (use of the terminology 'dweeb' not excluded from that claim) and B). My mom's cooler--and probably way more vulgar--than I'll ever be, so I'm hoping some of it will get absorbed through osmosis or something. Not the vulgarity, though. I'm good on that one. 
  • Help out a two stranger[s]
(1). So this dude at the bar last night was getting hardcore hit on by a not-all-that-sober woman he clearly wasn't into, but it was also pretty apparent that he was trying hard not to bruise her ego in the process of turning her down. I called him over like I knew him to give him an easy out, and while that technically leaves me at a karma score of 0 (helping out a stranger only to bullshit another) I'll call this one a little white lie in the name of best possible outcomes. 

(2). Danced with this 80-something-year-old old guy who was dancing alone to a song he requested. No one should ever have to dance alone to a song that they requested. It's like celebrating your birthday on your own, because how often do bands actually play the songs you tell them to? Exactly. Like, once a year. Just kidding; my dad's band's pretty good about that. Meatloaf ftw. 
  • Live instead of sleeping thinking
Opted not to censor, tone down, or subdue myself in the face of a first impression. And considering all the highly offensive, socially-unacceptable things that could've come out of my mouth, all things considered, I'd say it went pretty well. I figure that people are going to get to know your quirks and idiosyncrasies and--in this case--blunt-to-the-point-of-severe-word-vomit tendencies sooner or later, so maybe it's just better to weed them out right from the start. At least you know who'd have wasted your time and who's going to stick by you even when it's six AM and you're speaking solely in outdated internet-meme references. 

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
  • Do something good for myself, by myself
Being back here for couple days. Even if it's not the most diligent of choices, sometimes a change of scenery does a lot more for your motivation than you'd ever guess.   


  • Write here and write elsewhere
Check and check, overdue and way, way overdue. 
  • Make a conscious decision to leave my comfort zone
After the aforementioned first impression, the stay-in-touch question arose (and whereas normally I'd peace while I was ahead) I pushed myself to say yes. Not going to lie--as though it's not obvious enough by the fact that I've chosen this instance for this objective, this one's pretty rough for me. I guess there's this pressure to live up to initial expectations on both ends, and if you don't, it's a big let-down and another didn't-work-out chilling in your phone contacts. But there's also something to be said about taking a blind risk every once in a while. 


“A lifetime isn't forever, so take the first chance... Because sometimes, there aren't second chances. And if it turns out to be a mistake? So what? This is life. A whole bunch of mistakes.”-C. JoyBell C.
  • Take three six pictures of three six beautiful things.
(1). See above x4
(5). See below x1
(6). See this puppy that Melanie and I saw when we made the mistake of going into a pet store today. Instantly fell in love, you guys. Look at that way-too-tiny nose and that gives-no-shits demeanor. We're clearly meant for each other.  





Meditate

None whatsoever. I'll try before bed. 
  • Look up at the sky 
Words can easily describe how gross out it was today. But words can't describe how gorgeous it was on Friday, so let's just take that ineffability and call it optimism. 




\

No comments:

Post a Comment