Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day Seventeen



\

So it's recently come to my attention that my lovely friend, guru, and namesake (except not the US definition) Maria has reached the end of her thirty days in her own mini-self-journey. Going to be honest here, teared up a bit reading her last post. I owe her the world for inspiring me to do this for myself. Stories from a Stargazer is a genuine, incredible account from a genuine, incredible person. I can't even express how proud I am of her.





  • Show two people how much they mean to me
(1). Spoke to a Mr. Pierre and told him point-blank, "I care about you." This is a good one for the days where I have little-to-no contact with the outside world, as A). All it typically involves is a Skype call, and B). Sometimes people just appreciate the candor. 

(2). Bought roommate #1 some pasta. Bitches Roommates love pasta. 


  •                                                       Help out a stranger
"There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor." -Charles Dickens

True story. Emily and I had a laughing fit for no particular reason in the gym tonight during a yoga session (hands down most inconvenient time besides maybe in an elevator with specifically one other person that you've never met) and legitimately everyone  joined in. Pretty sure it's because her laugh combined with mine sounds like two prepubescent mice having a conversation. Wasn't intentional, but it got pretty out of hand, and that means that the two of us are directly responsible for the influx of endorphins now floating around in their brains. Yeah. They're all welcome. 
  • Live instead of sleeping
Yessir. Up before ten to get a head-start on that eight hours of homework. Living the dream. 

  • Do something good for myself, by myself with your roommate Emily


Isn't it convenient how that title just decided to do that? Like I said, yoga. First time in a couple weeks, at least. It has to be one of the most mentally-liberating things out there. It's basically like forced meditation, because everything hurts like a bitch so you've got no choice but to push all the thoughts out. And now that I've made it seem like the most unappealing thing to do with your time, you should definitely try it. 

  • Write here and write elsewhere
Yes and yes. More academic stuff, though. This is killing me, you guys. I reiterate: I just want to make stuff up.  
  • Make a conscious decision to leave my comfort zone
None of this today. I'll just do something extra ballsy tomorrow. Like, borderline-socially-unacceptable, because that's the type of stuff that builds character or whatever. 
  • Take three pictures of three beautiful things.
(1). See above
(2). See this zen garden that I once made out of a picture frame, coffee-stirrers, and decorative sand. Can't walk across my room without drawing herpderpy little pictures in it. Never ceases to make me happy. I might need broader aspirations. 



(3). See this dream-catcher my roommate's got in her car. I've always loved these things, but I was never sure why. Guess it's just because I've always been a fan of the idea that the thoughts we experience are a lot further inside our control than we realize.

  • Meditate
A brief five minute session when I didn't think I could possibly stuff my brain full of any more information. Planning on getting in some real time before bed tonight. 

  • Look up at the sky 
Another beautifully clear night. Too bad my fingers were numb after forty-five seconds. I'm well overdue for a dress-like-the-Michelin-man-and-suck-it-up-for-a-half-hour stargazing session. 

\

No comments:

Post a Comment