Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day Nineteen

\

Storytime, you guys. 

So my last month at Ursinus, right? I'd already decided I was gonna transfer out, and as much as I liked to pretend that I was all set and confident about it, I was kind of shitting bricks. My adviser had just informed me--in so many words--that a "gut feeling" was not a justified reason to do something this drastic, and if I transferred out just because I was looking for inspiration, experience, and a definite shove out of my comfort zone, I'd be wasting my time as well as the chance at a "much more prestigious degree." A couple days later, after herpderping around in the rain with my good friend Jennie (one of the fourteen people that I'd effortlessly learned to love with every fiber of my being and could barely stomach the thought of leaving behind) we found these wet, in-retrospect-probably-not-so-sterile planks of wood. Someone had thrown them out behind the theater--scrap-wood from a set, I guess--so we grabbed them and took them back to her dorm. On hers, she painted this awesomely Jennie-like henna pattern (which I desperately wish I'd taken a picture of, because it was straight-up incredible) and on mine, I painted this guy right here. It was the first thing to go up on my wall in the new apartment. 



It often does fade into the background, like everything else you get used to. I'm not going to pretend like I have this epic epiphany every time I look at it and start spilling triumphant tears and hold a middle finger up to the sky as a ****-you to my old adviser. But every once in a while--like today, for instance--it does bleed out into the forefront. And when it does, it's a pretty good reminder that sometimes, all the justification we need is a gut feeling, and if inspiration and experience and a push out of your comfort zone doesn't fit in with your destination, then maybe you need to switch up the path you're walking on. 

  • Show two people how much they mean to me
(1). Coffee and a muffin for a Mr. Pattwell. This food-coma theory is getting pretty rock solid. 

(2). Called one of the aforementioned fourteen (the one who just so happens to have been the inspiration behind this blog) just to say hello and that I was thinking about her. Turned into a forty-minute conversation, though it's not like I'm complaining. I've never, ever had a talk with that girl that ended in anything but a feeling of effortless correspondence with all things happening in my life. 
  • Help out a stranger
Held open a few doors, but I'm figuring that stopped counting a while ago, because it's pretty automatic now. In which case, I missed this one today, but I'll try for two tomorrow. 
  • Live instead of sleeping
Got out of bed half an hour earlier than I needed to (despite the fact that I was balls tired) so I could take my sweet time, listen to some music, cook some real-people breakfast, walk to class, and sort of just be in the morning. 
  • Do something good for myself, by myself
There are few things in the world that are as soul-reviving as Adventure Time. You can quote me on that. 
  • Write here and write elsewhere
No such luck with the second one, though I did get pimp-smacked in the face with some inspiration this morning (or the closest thing I've had to it in a while) so I'll probably be more inclined to open a blank document and actually write once I get a free hour. 
  • Make a conscious decision to leave my comfort zone
Absolutely refused, for once in my life, to be the one to look away first. 


"The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter--often an unconscious but still faithful interpreter--in the eye." -Charlotte Bronte
  • Take three pictures of three beautiful things.
(1). See above. 
(2). See below. 
(3). See this building that's hands down my favorite on campus. Reminds me of some pole-up-their-ass New England college where they'd film a movie about a bunch of networking fratboys and this mental image never ceases to thrill me.




  • Meditate
No time during the day, like I'd wanted to, but I'll get this one done before bed. Better late than never. Also, I've just been informed that New Paltz has a meditation club that meets on Sundays. Yeah. My initial response was, "Epic, maybe I'll go and meet some people," and then I realized that meditation just so happens to be the least most social activity ever. 
  • Look up at the sky 

Not to sound like a Long Island princess or whatever, but I've never been a fan of the fog, as it hardcore f***s up my hair (kindly note the unintentional use of alliteration). Regardless, dusk remains one of the most clarity-inducing times of the day. Look at that unearthly shade of blue. 

\

No comments:

Post a Comment